Sales Tax Refunds for Qualified Veteran Vendors

The state Board of Equalization (BOE) has announced that refunds may be available if a “qualified itinerant veteran vendor” paid sales tax, interest and penalties between April 1, 2002 and March 31, 2010.

The tax repayment applies only to sales for which the veteran vendor did not collect sales tax from his/her customers.

The BOE defines “qualified itinerant veteran vendors” as those who:

• were honorably discharged from the U.S. Armed Forces;

• are sole proprietors with no employees;

• have no permanent place of business in the state; and

• are unable to obtain a livelihood by manual labor due to a service-related disability.

BOE said examples of “qualified itinerant veteran vendors” include swap meet or flea market vendors, lunch wagon operators, caterers, and coffee cart providers.

Examples of the goods and services such vendors commonly sell, according to BOE, include meals, firewood, fireworks, automotive tools, home repair services and mobile windshield repairs.

To apply for the refund of tax paid, qualified veterans should submit the BOE-101 Claim for Refund or Credit to the BOE before January 1, 2016. The form is available under the Forms & Pubs tab at